Renaissance painter, sculptor and inventor, Leonardo da Vinci, once said “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Perhaps no class of vehicles better exudes this idea than the subcompact car. Good subcompact cars provide reliability, value and balance in a neat and simple package.
Call us biased, but the Kia Rio is undoubtedly one of the strongest contenders in the subcompact class. With an unusual attention to safety and convenience, the Kia Rio has been a great low-frills model that is as much at home on the open highway as it is in densely-packed urban city streets.
With the availability of a 5-door model, Kia has given drivers a vehicle that is perfect for a long weekend away with a car full of luggage, music equipment, or camping gear.
2018 Redesigned Kia Rio
For 2018, Kia has given drivers a new Rio to be excited about. The updated model includes a fresh design that prioritizes function as much as form. Featuring taller, more-upright A-pillars, the 2018 Kia Rio offers improved visibility.
The new 2018 Kia Rio is longer than previous years, giving drivers and passengers alike more space. This space is especially evident in the cabin where drivers will recognize a more mature and convenient aesthetic. Rear passengers will undoubtedly enjoy almost 2.5 more inches of leg room. At nearly 14 cubic feet, cargo room remains the same for the sedan. The 5-door model will provide weekend warriors with an extra 2.4 cubic feet of space with the seats up.
2018 Kia Rio Specs
In addition to more style and convenience, the Kia Rio updates specs from the previous generation models. Here are relevant specs for the 2018 Kia Rio.
- 1.6L 4-cylinder Gasoline Direct Injection engine
- 130-horsepower @ 6,300 rpm
- 119 lb-ft. torque @ 4,850 rpm
- 11.9 gallon fuel tank
- EPA-estimated 27 city mpg, 36 highway mpg, 31 combined mpg
- 15″ wheels with available alloy
- 6-Speed Manual Transmission available
- 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
- Front-engine FWD
- Seats 5
- 101.6″ wheelbase (up .4″ from previous model)
- 5.5″ ground clearance
- 5-door cargo space 17.4 cubic feet
- 4-door cargo space 13.7 cubic feet
- 2,648 lb. MT
- 2,714 lb. AT
- MacPherson strut front suspension
- Coupled torsion beam axle rear suspension
Comfort and Convenience Features
- Available heated mirrors
- Standard 5″ audio display
- Available backup camera
- Available 7″ audio display with UVO3 infotainment
- Available Bluetooth
- Sirius Satellite Radio
- Available red accent leather package
- Kia safety suite standard
- Available High Line Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Available Autonomous Emergency Braking System (AEB) (City/Urban)
2018 Kia Rio Release Date
We don’t have a release date from the manufacturer yet, but as soon as we do, we’ll let you know. We expect to get these beginning in the fall now. If you have any questions, or would like to see what options are available for test-driving the 2018 Kia Rio, contact us today!